General Assembly at Dresden FIDE Congress.
Sunday, 23 November 2008 17:59
The FIDE General Assembly started its work on the 23 November 2008. FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov reported on the progress made. The most urgent and pressing issues in the context of the World Chess Olympiad were discussed at the Generel Assembly. In his speech, the FIDE president emphasized those innovations that came into effect at the 38th Olympiad.
- equal team compositions of men and women
- the match-point system of scoring
- accelerated pairing during the first two rounds
- prohibition on the offer of a draw during the first 30 moves
- being late to the game is counted as the defeat
Delegates will also have to choose the host-city of the World Chess Olympiad 2012. Among the candidates are Istanbul (Turkey) and Budva (Montenegro). Also, there will be the presentation of the delegation of the city of Khanty-Mansiysk (Russia) which will be the host-city of the World Chess Olympiad 2010.
The FIDE President visited the playing hall of the Olympiad where he had many conversations and meetings with the participants and guests of the World Chess Olympiad 2008.
Here are some photos: